Sunday, March 6, 2011

The joys and challenges of parenting

Saturday night was the biggest power struggle I have had with my 27 month old to date.

Xander didn't want to put on his pajamas, he didn't want to take a bath and he wanted to wear his new Toy Story shoes to bed that I had bought him yesterday (hey, they light up - I get it).  I won't say sorry for this next part because I fully believe in it and I realize some people don't, but I ended up spanking him a few times before he would calm down as he was screaming and carrying on for a long time.  I kept telling him no and he wouldn't listen.

I realize some parents would give in and just let their kid wear shoes to bed but it's about more than just that for me.  It's about my child listening when I tell him something and understanding he can't always have what he wants when he wants it.  Some parents would say it's not worth the fight but I have to disagree.  I do agree there are some small things not worth worrying about but I think things should be done in a normal way most of the time (not wearing shoes to bed) and I don't need to accommodate my son just to avoid a fight. 

I don't know, maybe I should have just given in but I felt like I should stick to my guns last night.  Also, once you say no, you need to enforce it otherwise the kid will learn you are inconsistent and will challenge you even more.

I know I am not a perfect parent but I sure am trying my best.  It blows my mind how few parents out there seem to have no common sense in raising their kids.  There are so many rude or oblivious kids out there and I actually feel sorry for the kids because they are being short changed in being shaped into a responsible adult.  I just can't let my kid turn into a crazy, bratty kid.  I want nothing more than for him to live a normal life with values and morals and learn hard work and determination. 

I know everyone has their thoughts on how a kid should be raised but I feel like society as a whole is going down hill at least in the manners department so I want to do everything I can to prevent that.  We are already teaching 'please' and 'thank you'.  It seems to be a lost art.

I know the struggles are worth it as he is overall a very good little boy.  He has very few tantrums and is happy most of the time.  He is pretty calm too - not a really high strung kid.  I feel lucky he is so easy most of the time.

That is all.  Some people may disagree but that is ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment