Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Diabetes and me

I am struggling to figure out how to make my diabetes a main focus of my life.....for the rest of my life.

I know it is not everything, but it is such a big part of me and can't be ignored if I want to be healthy and not die young.  I want to take care of myself, but it has been so hard.  I am only now doing what I should have been doing for the last 5 year.

I have had major ups and downs with my disease.  I have had good control for a while, but of the 5 years I have had diabetes, I have only had good control for less than 2 years of that time.  Terrible.

So now I have to figure out how to make it all work.  I don't think there is one answer to this.  I think this is going to be an ongoing challenge, probably for the rest of my life.

Right now I am in transition.  Transitioning to eating better, taking insulin more, testing more often and starting a new medicine.  I will eventually get an insulin pump (hopefully in the next month or two) and will continue to be in this phase until I have that all figured out.  I know I won't have everything magically figured out once I get my pump, but I think it will improve things for the better.

So now I am just taking it day by day.  Struggling more days than not.  Trying to make the right choices and eat the right things and test my blood sugar enough.

That's all I can do and I just have to hope it all works out and things continue to go well and hopefully get easier for me as time goes on.

No comments:

Post a Comment